Steak fingers are the meat between the bones of beef ribs. If you prepare them right – they are absolutely delicious -very tender, melting in your mouth. Steak fingers contain lots of fat and collagen. This is what makes them so tender when slow-cooked for a few hours. The collagen breaks down into Gelatin, and the fat adds even more juiciness.
Cheap and a great source of fat and protein
Finger steaks are cheap and available at many butcher shops. You can buy them fresh or frozen. I tried both options, and I can say for sure that the difference in flavor is not significant at all. You can save extra money by buying frozen. Steak fingers are great if you are on a keto diet. They contain lots of fat – 22g per 100g (on average. Sometimes you can find beef finger ribs that are 30-35% fat !). They also provide 20.5g of protein per 100g. And of course – no carbs! Finger steaks are also rich in zinc. This cut of meat is much cheaper than steaks like ribeye or sirloin, and it’s not less tender. The only difference of course is the cooking time. A steak can be made in a few minutes, but steak fingers take around 2 hours to be ready (and you can slow cook them for even longer – even 6-8 hours). Many people who want to start the keto diet wonder if it’s an expensive diet. Well, it sure can be. But if you eat affordable cuts of meat like beef finger steaks – it really isn’t!
Finger steaks seasoning
In this steak fingers recipe, I am using McCormick Grill Mate’s Alabama BBQ seasoning. I think it really adds nice flavors to this cut of meat. But you can use any seasoning you like – it’s really not crucial to use a specific one. Some on the keto diet prefer not to use any seasonings besides pepper and salt. I also really like using naturally smoked paprika. It’s very important to make sure the paprika is naturally smoked – some companies just mix regular paprika with liquid smoke.
The following steak fingers recipe is very simple. 10 Minutes of preparation, then just put it in the oven and wait a few hours. The oven cooking time is 2 hours, but you can slow cook the beef finger ribs if you want to (for up to 8 hours, at a lower temperature of course). I prefer shorter cooking times because the meat comes out still very tender, and you don’t have to wait so many hours to eat it. When I am hungry, I don’t want to wait endless hours for the meat to be ready. I prefer to put a good cut of meat in the oven, forget about it for few hours, and…it’s ready!
- 4 lb Beef finger ribs (2kg)
- Your favorite seasoning
- Fry the meat on the pan, few minutes on each side. Use rendered beef fat / butter. It's also possible to skip this step if you are short on time.
- Place the steak fingers in an aluminum baking tray (I use a disposable one).
- Cover the meat with water (at least 3/4 covered).
- Add your favorite seasonings.
- Cover everything well with aluminum foil. Make it as air tight as possible.
- Place in a pre-heated oven for 2 hours , 400F (200C). Ready !
Comment below and let me know what you think of this recipe.
- You can add 1-2 teaspoons of liquid smoke (just mix it with the water you add to cover the meat). Or just use smoked paprika – a much better option in my opinion.
- After you take the tray out of the oven, leave it covered without opening the foil – for 30 minutes. This allows the meat to absorb some of the juices back.
- You can also put eggs in the tray, and let them cook with meat. Eggs that are cooked for so long have a unique taste and texture that many of you will like. And of course – eggs are great on the keto diet!
- If you want to shorten the cooking time even further – you can chop the steak fingers into very small cubes. Just make sure to use a lot of liquid so they will stay tender and not become dry.